
Preparing for the ride...

My brother came from England to see me ride (well... almost)

This is my Bay Country Metric T-shirt that I am very proud to wear, so you may see me in this shirt all the time now. I rode my first Metric Century which is 62 miles. I actually rode 63 miles because I got lost a couple of times. Getting lost at the beginning of the race is not so bad, it was at the last 5 miles that just about made me give up. The cue sheet said "cross over" the street and the arrows on the road turned right. So, I went with the cue sheet thinking that would be the most likely true direction. Wrong! I had a bad feeling when no one passed me for a while ( I'm not that fast), so I turned back and waited to see where upcoming bikers would go and followed them. Luckily, I'm not trying to break a record on time (watch out Lance). It was a beautiful ride and I wish I'd had my camera. We went along the Chesapeake Bay and through a town called "North Beach". I now want to move there. It is a quaint little town on the water with charming old homes. If it wasn't for the beautiful scenery to distract me from the enormous hills, I wouldn't have made it. I must say riding 60 miles in Charleston was a breeze compared to this ride today. I saw one other recumbent rider ahead of me, but I never caught him to make a fellow recumbent rider friend. Most of the bikers pass me on the hills (I could seriously walk up hill faster than I'm riding) and then I pass some going down hill (my bike is so heavy that gravity becomes my best friend). John, my brother Hank ( visiting from England) and the kids met me after the race which made me forget my aches and pains. I feel like I have to pinch myself to wake up from a dream. Thank you to everyone who is supporting me in this great cause! It keeps me motivated to keep going.
No comments:
Post a Comment