
I was supposed to ride 66 miles yesterday with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society(LLS) group that I've been training with every Saturday. They cancelled the ride due to Tropical Storm Hanna that dumped buckets of rain on the DC area yesterday.

Well, from my childhood days in Charleston, SC where a "tropical storm" to most people means "we'll finally have big enough waves to surf", I thought I'd go tackle the ride alone while everyone else chickened out. Most people are going to ride on Sunday which is supposed to be a gorgeous day. I have to admit that I debated for a few minutes ways to justify riding on the Sabbath ( I don't have any other day I can get in a long ride, the race is only a few weeks away, I'm riding for a good cause, etc). It's funny how even good things can easily turn into an unhealthy extreme. A good thing in your life is no longer good if you let it compromise your core values/ beliefs.

So with that thought, I went out to ride AGAINST Hanna (after all she's only a T.S., not a hurricane). I have to say, my friends from LLS are smart, not chicken. I rode for a couple of hours and that was it for me. Once your soaked, who cares about all the rain. However, it's the rain pelting into your eyes so you can't see that's a problem. On a recumbent you can't put your head and back down to block the rain a bit. I wimped out and came back ,and John caught this picture. It was raining so hard by the time I got back, that you can hardly see me. "A" for effort. I'll have to try catch up this week in the early a.m.
No comments:
Post a Comment