Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Last ride before the Century

We did not have an organized ride this weekend, so I went out on my own. I only (can't believe I'm saying "only") had to ride 40 miles. I'm supposed to take it easy this week. Most of the people that I ride with are riding on Sunday because as you can see it is raining. I've chosen not to ride on Sundays because that is our family/church day. I know everyone has their own interpretation of "keeping the Sabbath day Holy," and this is part of mine. There's a lot of wisdom in having one day of rest and a day to remember gratitude. It may seem like an insignificant thing to those who have never had their health compromised, but I do feel deep gratitude to God for helping me ride again and make it this far.

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them." -John F. Kennedy

I took this as a "Good Sign." No pun intended. I am riding for the Morrows' tomorrows. Usually I don't look up at street signs, but happened to notice this one. I received the sweetest note this week from Stephanie writing how touched she is by all those who care and have donated to help. Many of you don't even know her and are so generous. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and thank you from Stephanie. She writes that she can't even find words to describe how grateful she feels.
I don't know why I took this picture, but these are my clip-in sandals. If you bike, you have to get these. Your shoes never stink and they're nice and cool in the summer.
After the ride I went up to Mt. Airy bikes to get my bike checked and ready for the Century. The guy on the left is the owner and the guy on the right is Greg. He and Zach have been a big help to me as I learn how to ride and take care of a recumbent bike. Greg is going to ride the Sea Gull Century with me on his recumbent. It will be nice to have someone to ride with that is about the same pace as me. Thanks Greg!

No comments: