Thursday, August 7, 2008

Blogging my training

7-23-08 This morning I got up at 4:45 am and yes, it was pitch dark. I rode 35 miles before most people go to work...now that's dedication. I averaged 12 mph (up from my usual 10mph). I keep saying "this bike is really slow"...not wanting to admit it might be me. :) I'm going to look into a wind shield to see if it helps. At the very least it would decrease the # of bugs I now eat....hmm, maybe that's what keeps me from bonking.

7-2-08 Saturdays are when I do my long rides. I got up a 5am to drive an hour to Davidsonville, VA where I was supposed to ride my first 50 miles (the most I've done so far is 40). There was a huge thunder/lightning storm and so the ride was cancelled. I rode later in the day one my own when the weather cleared. It was pretty hot by that time of day, so I only rode 20. The ride was in Mt. Airy, MD ....beautiful ride. I was riding from a cue sheet a bike shop gave me. Things began to look a little familiar when I noticed I was riding where my brother, Hank use to live. His house is being rented, so I took a detour to check on it....looks good Hank and Heather! I took a few pics. I have to admit I got a little nervous riding on my own at one point where I seemed to be out in the middle of nowhere (corn fields) and a big Truck riding by now and then. On my 40 miler I actually had a dear (buck) charge at me from the woods. I heard it above the roaring sound of the wind in my ears ( I wish I'd had a video camera on me). Just as it slowed by the road, a car (yes, a car actually became my friend) scared it away. Weird adventures in biking.

No comments: